(urth) Blood Meridian - still utterly and completely off topic

Alexander, Bryan balexan at middlebury.edu
Wed Oct 4 09:29:12 PDT 2006

Why not horror... because it's a historical novel, an antiwestern, primarily.  The kid travels right from the old frontier through to California, and the novel touches on all sorts of western tropes along the way: naturalism, the imposition of law, the cult of the outlaw, Mexico, etc.
It is horrific, I'll grant you that.  It felt like a very violent novel from the start.

"regeneration through violence" is Richard Slotkin's classic formula about American frontier lit.  Heroes head out, confront horror, are redeemed by their violent response.
What's weird is that _Blood Meridian_ isn't redemptive at all.  Had the blurber actually finished it?  No spoiler here, but cf the conclusion of Melville's _Confidence-Man_.