(urth) Essential Background Reading for Soldier Series

Michael Straight mfstraight at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 21:20:10 PST 2006

On 11/30/06, thalassocrat at nym.hush.com <thalassocrat at nym.hush.com> wrote:

[Stuff about the fates of Pausanius and Themistocles deleted]

Wow, Thalassocrat!  You just made my head explode for the second time
in 24 hours.

I appreciate Don's suggestions to read the Illiad, Odyssey, and
Herotidous -- all of them worth reading for their own sake, of course
-- but I guess I was looking for something a little more specific.
Thalssocrat's two bits of information in this thread (Pausanius and
the stuff about the Amazons) just shed enormous amounts of light on
the plot for me.

Are there other stories or facts like that in Homer or Herotidous I
ought to know?

Rostrum