(urth) Latro & Unseen God (Possible spoiler)

Rex Lycanthrosaurus lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 14 09:24:45 PST 2006

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:04:00 +1100, thalassocrat at nym.hush.com said:

> Mainly I'm hoping for a good story well told, but I'm also hoping
> that there'll be some answers to a few questions the first two
> books left hanging for me.
>
> 1. The Unseen God
>
> >From the word's of Apollo and the mediocre verse of his priestess,
> right at the beginning in Thebes.
>
> "I send you to the God Unseen!
> Whose temple lies in Death's terrene!
> Then you shall learn why He's not seen."
>
> and : "Long after, you will find what you seek in the dead city."
>
> I assume that "the God Unseen" is the really truly God or at least
> something further up the chain of comamnd than the gods encountered
> so far.

Not sure I agree, since the name Hades means "unseen" and he's king of
the underworld, where there is no sunlight--plus Dis Pater is never
encountered until we're dead.

The very last chapter of _Sidon_ with its boatman and Cerberus-analog
(besides reinforcing the Latro-as-Heracles subtheme) seems to indicate
Latro is close to the particular realm in question.
--
  Rex Lycanthrosaurus
  lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm

                          love email again