(urth) Latro & Unseen God (Possible spoiler)

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Tue Nov 14 12:00:08 PST 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 04:24:45 +1100 Rex Lycanthrosaurus
<lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm> wrote:

>Not sure I agree, since the name Hades means "unseen" and he's
>king of
>the underworld, where there is no sunlight--plus Dis Pater is
>never
>encountered until we're dead.
>
>The very last chapter of _Sidon_ with its boatman and Cerberus-
>analog
>(besides reinforcing the Latro-as-Heracles subtheme) seems to
>indicate
>Latro is close to the particular realm in question.

Good point! But I'm going to stick with the my interpretation for
now. Pindar says he doesn't know who is meant by "the god unseen" -
why wouldn't he have picked up on a Hades reference? And it seems
to be a well-recognized christian usage - eg Colossians 1 (tks to
Google). Plus the Maiden's reference to the god (assuming it's the
same one) as a radiant being, which doesn't seem to fit Hades very
well. Finally, Latro actually meets Hades a couple of times, which
weakens the "unseen" aspect.

Though there could be a double meaning.

Anyway, my half-baked guess at the moment is that there's a
connection with Latro's memory palace, which will turn out to be an
image of Akhenaten's destroyed temple to Aten in Karnak. East of
the Nile; huge, open, airy; a radiant supreme/exclusive solar
deity; a dead city; Karnak has an avenue of sphinxes (although all
ram-headed, I think, but there were sphinx's in the Aten temple
too).