(urth) Talus brains

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Tue May 2 19:04:07 PDT 2006

One of the many little things which bugs me about Long Sun: where
do talus brains come from? We get the long scene where the director
of the talus works explains bronze casting and mix'n'match Mr
Potato Head options, but nobody at the meeting asks the obvious
glaring question about brains.

I guess there could be some exploitation of the chem baby-building
process, but taluses don't seem very much like chems, personality-
wise. Maybe it's Vironese Black Mechanics, crudely imitating chem
brains? (It seems like Gaon at least has neither living chems nor
taluses; maybe they're unique to Viron?)

Anyway, it bugs me.

It also bugs me that chems are apparently able to build mini-fusion
reactors for their babies, and advanced AI embodiments, and no
doubt many other very high-tech things, but no Black Mechanic (for
example) seems to have thought of making a chem build a fusion
power generator for Viron or whatever.