(urth) Eyes of Thecla

mournings glory mourningsglory at hotmail.com
Fri May 5 20:39:32 PDT 2006

>From: "Rex Racer" <rex.racerx at gmail.com>
>
>Actually, forebearance with an e is an acceptable variant of forbearance,
>so
>it is not even a typo or editorial error. I actually would use it a lot in
>former life writing letters that required such serious precise verbiage

But you will allow that forebearance can also mean pertaining to one's
forebears, right? And while you may be correct about the usage of
forebearance for forbearance in the personal correspondence of yesteryear,
you will not find the variant spelling listed anywhere at all in Wolfe's
beloved dictionary of choice, the O.E.D. -- which seems curious to me since
it generally lists all known variants, even when obsolete or rare.
Forbearance, on the other hand, appears 27 times and as early as 1593, in
Shakespeare's Henry VI. Might you therefor (a pertinent OED variant, no?)
have an alternate reputable source for your claim?