(urth) the assassin

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Wed May 31 21:14:15 PDT 2006

Dan'l said:
>Actually, I took the mask to suggest that the assassin was a
>disaffected member of the Order of Seekers for Truth and Penitence
>who did not approve of the Autarch Severian's reform of his guild.

So I checked, Roy is right, no mask.  Still, my point remains that only two
poisoned weapons appear in the 5 books, that I can think of. One with Agia,
the athame, and one with the assassin (venom-daubed batardeau).  Agia's
weapons seem to connect her to others. Or maybe not.

I guess that is the question, to connect the dots or not connect the dots.

Exploring for this post reminded me of another weapon she doesn't actually
have but she mentions owning previously, "A misericorde with an ivy-root
handle". I find that a misericorde is a thin bladed dagger used on the
battlefield to put the mortally wounded out of their misery.  Ivy root,
hm...

I'm not seeing a strong connection of that weapon to anything else in the
story. Pelerines maybe?  It seems like a rather elaborate weapon description
for the reference to be just a toss-away.

-bsharp