(urth) Shapeshifting Evidence and Principles

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Sun May 28 18:05:45 PDT 2006

I wrote:

>I don't think that's the real dichotomy. Better: "Here's a nice
>shiny jewel - let's shove it in the ring!" vs "But it doesn't fit,

>and if you scratch it, it flakes. Let's find a real gem that
>fits."

Well, that certainly sounds more aggressive than I intended. I
really meant that everybody finds themselves on different sides of
that division from time to time. What looks like ill-fitting tawdry
costume paste to some may look like the Wossisname diamond to
others, or even to the same person at a different time. Etc etc
etc.

I don't think anybody really denies the existence of empty jewel
settings which we're supposed to fill in for ourselves.