(urth) Father Inire

don doggett kingwukong at yahoo.com
Thu May 25 15:11:58 PDT 2006

--- mournings glory <mourningsglory at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Plunking on the honkytonk of his brain, bsharp
> improvises the following
> cadenza about the pansimianess of Father Inire:
>
> <The most telling clue is when Rudesind first comes
> down from the ladder
> "like an aged monkey, seeming all arms and legs and
> wrinkled neck; his hands
> were as long as my feet, the crooked fingers lined
> with blue veins". Why
> would Wolfe use almost all the physical descriptions
> of Father Inire for
> Rudesind unless he really was him?>
>
> In his essay on the onomastics of the New Sun, Gene
> Wolfe writes, "In this
> piece I'd like to go into names a bit more deeply,
> beginning with the rule
> of naming I used: Everything is just what it says it
> is."
>
> Rudesind, of course, is a saint's name, a convention
> used over and over
> again by the author to differentiate humans from
> Other -- a rule however
> bsharp violates in favor of ape's blood and
> gerontica.

This does not necessarily negate bsharp's argument -
that Inire is possibly  disguised as the human
Rudesind. It would be natural for him to take a human
rather than a Hierodule name. To disguise oneself
successfully is to "become" the other in a sense. I
realize that the naming conventions are a device of
the author to convey metatextual clues to the reader,
but they also represent true differences in naming
conventions between cacogens and humans. I think
bsharp's idea still has legs.

Don