(urth) Hierodules & time

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Thu May 25 05:03:44 PDT 2006

Both Tzadkiel and Typhon (I think it is him) make chessboard references to
the BotNS drama.  Tzadkiel tells Severian that his is a race of pawns, who
can only move in one direction in time, unless they reach the end (Yesod)
and are brought back to the beginning to play as a new piece. Aren't the
hierodules also pawns who can only move in one direction in time?

But they move in the opposite direction of Severian. Typhon says Severian
plays for the black team, so his opposition must be the white team.  Each
side has players which are not pawns.  Which side are we supposed to root

-bsharp