(urth) Piteous Gate- one last rehash

mournings glory mourningsglory at hotmail.com
Sun May 14 22:15:12 PDT 2006

>From: "b sharp" <bsharporflat at hotmail.com>
>
>In the vaults of this archinve there has been a fair amount of discussion
>centered on the disturbance at the Piteous Gate that ends Shadow.  I had
>always felt it was something mysterious and worth knowing, as did some
>others.

Agreed, and perhaps exactly what is meant when Severian writes about
"certain dramatic pauses which shall signal to you that something of import
is about to occur."

>I found a passage which convinces me otherwise.  When Severian first talks
>to Agia in Casdoe's cottage in Sword, they have this exchange:
>
>S- "You've been trying to kill me ever since I glimpsed you in the crowd at
>Saltus"
>A- " Is that an accusation?  Yes."
>S- "You're lying."
>A- "What do you mean?"
>S- "Only that you were trying to kill me before Saltus"
>A- "With the avern. Yes, of course"
>S- "And afterward. Agia, I know who Hethor is"
>
>I think this is author misdirection because on first reading I know I was
>then more interested in Severian's extended insight about Hethor.  But the
>first part of that sentence says that Agia (with Hethor's help implied)
>tried to kill Severian somewhere in the time between the avern duel and
>Saltus Fair, which she doesn't deny.
>
>I find no plausible setting for this attempt except the disturbance at the
>Piteous Gate.  So  Severian, in retrospect, has deduced that the cause of
>the disturbance, the appearance of some undescribed creature, was an
>attempt
>on his life by Agia and Hethor.   Is there another possible interpretation?

I believe Mr. Lackey has postulated similarly, and while I think it's as
credible as any other theory, I'm not sure your particular quote bolsters it
in any fashion. You're assuming, I believe, that "afterward" comes
relatively soon after the avern episode, whereas I believe it's referring to
"after" the Saltus fair, when Severian and Jonas are attacked by Hethor's
notules.

em