(urth) Soldier: Hegesistratus the Lame Lycanthrope

mournings glory mourningsglory at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 30 23:31:20 PST 2006

A true son of Rome (but not of Greece) Marcus Aramini writes:

>One possibility is that Latro is the wolf ... but despite Borski's
>argument, Lucius does not mean wolf

I've yet to receive my order of Long & Short & Everything In Between, but
one of my students handed in a midterm on Keat's "Lamia" last week, and in
it the Lamia's lover is named Lycius--which absolutely means "wolf". I know
because we googled it and received over a hundred confirmations, with lots
of citations about Apollo the Wolf-God. Given as well that the upsilon in
Greek can be translated as *either* "y" or "u" it seems to me "Lycius" and
"Lucius" are almost certainly equivalent.

Keat's "Lamia" also appears to be at least one of the inspirations for
Wolfe's Eurykles. (Or has Crush already pointed this out on his site? Can't
remember.)

<There is another character who could be the wolf: Hegesistratus the mantis
with the lame leg.>

How does lycanthropy work if you're maimed in either your human or bestial
form? Would a limping human also limp as wolf? Would a foot you gnawed off
as a werewolf also remain absent when you morphed back into human? Who's our
resident loup-garou authority?

Also don't know if any of you caught this, but there was a manuscript copy
of Soldier of Sidon up for bid on eBay recently.

The winning bid topped out at $108.50, which may well be indicative of how
much people are looking forward to this long-delayed title.

mu sigma gamma  <up late -- it's spring break for another 24 hours, woohoo!>