(urth) SRD on obscurity

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 14:36:02 PDT 2006

No ... I don't mean Samuel R. Delany, but a writer many on
this list probably disdain, Stephen R. Donaldson. He said,
about a year ago, something that resonates for me with
some things Wolfe has said about some of the "puzzles" in
his work -- specifically, his attitude that the "answers"
should be obvious:

"As a narrative artist, I face an incessant dilemma which
(I believe) plagues all artists in one form or another: I
suffer from a natural and understandable (and perhaps
inevitable) impulse to *leave out* anything that seems
perfectly obvious to me. At the same time, I expound
endlessly on anything that I find obscure or difficult. But
guess what? The things that are obvious to me are
seldom obvious to the reader. At the same time, readers
are quicker on the up-take than I am (because they read
so much more quickly than I write)."

For what that's worth.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant

-----
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer
"One o'th'flay-rods gone out o'skew on th'treadle."