(urth) "Backs to the future"

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu Jun 15 21:53:12 PDT 2006

Transentient wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2006, at 12:33 AM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
>

>>James Machin wrote:
>>

>>>The following article might be of interest to the list (for obvious
>>>reasons!)...
>>>
>>>http://www.physorg.com/news69338070.html
>>
>>I've seen this claimed for classical Attic cultures as well; IIRC as
>>recently as "It's Greek to Me" (Paperback)
>>by Michael Macrone, Tom Lulevitch
>

> There has been a big resurgence of popularity of the Sapir-Whorf
> hypothesis among anthropology types lately.

I think this is more in Skinner's area, myself. Certainly Greeks and
Romans were conditioned to see the past as a place of glory and names
forever remembered, with the future a mysterious, unseen place from
which fate and misfortune could strike unforseen, as if stabbing from
behind.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >