(urth) SRD on obscurity

Daniel D Jones ddjones at riddlemaster.org
Sat Jun 10 19:32:22 PDT 2006

On Saturday 10 June 2006 20:48, Adam Thornton wrote:
> On Jun 10, 2006, at 8:14 AM, Daniel D Jones wrote:
> > Certainly, I have no problem with you not liking Donaldson.  The
> > world would
> > be a boring place indeed if we all had the same tastes and
> > opinions.  But
> > this isn't a statement that his works don't appeal to you.  It's an ad
> > hominem attack that is clearly not factually true.  (That is,
> > however much
> > you dislike Donaldson, I find it extremely hard to believe that you
> > think he
> > has less talent than, say, Gary Gygax.)
>
> Ooooh, now THEM'S FIGHTIN' WORDS!
>
> Did *Donaldson* ever write a Wandering Harlot Table?
>
> I *thought* not.

I whiled away a lot of hours thanks to Gary.  (For those who may not be
familiar with him, he's the author/inventor of the original Dungeons and
Dragons game.)  And his writing... hm, what would one call such writing?
It's difficult to call it non-fiction when one is describing the fighting
ability of a dragon, but its not fiction in the normal sense of telling a
story either.  Technical fiction, perhaps?  In any event, his writing skill
in that area was fine.  But if you've ever read (or tried to read) any of his
fiction...  Whew.  Bad.  Very bad.