(urth) Order and chaos, light and dark, ...

Bob Miller bob_bageera at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 5 06:28:58 PDT 2006

I deny wisdom or knowledge of Wisdom; however, as a science fiction fan the
thought that came to mind when I first read this 20 some years ago was, "Ah,
this man reads Roger Zelazny, too."  Who, of course robbed his from earlier
texts (as you were subsuming of Wolfe) such as the Upa nishads or Hindi
mystical writings drawn from several of the Vedas (Max Muller's translation
only one I've dealt with).  And, of course, we may thank Ms. Wolfe's
creativity for going on from there.  And, btw, I have read passages of the
BOTNS in Bible study class to share insights.

I don't know about theology, but this passage certainly brings to mind
Kant's Critique of Pure Reason. He made a distinction between phenomena
(things as they are perceived) and noumena (things as they are in themselves
(“ding an sich”)). His denial that any real understanding of the universe as
it actually is possible has always made me think about similar schools of
thought in gnosticism and kabbalism (making the admittedly big assumption
that the unknowable universe and the unknowable increate are
interchangeable).