(urth) Wiki

Daniel D Jones ddjones at riddlemaster.org
Tue Jun 27 04:16:47 PDT 2006

On Monday 26 June 2006 13:04, maru dubshinki wrote:
> On 6/23/06, JWillard <aldenweer at charter.net> wrote:
> > Daniel D Jones wrote:
> > >So, did the idea of a Lupine Wiki fall apart or what?
> > >
> > >I'm asking because I recently bought several Wolfe short story
> > > collections. (I'm currently reading the last story in "The Island of
> > > Doctor Death...") I'd love to be able to go to a Wiki and see some
> > > commentary on the stories after I finish them. I get the feeling that
> > > I'm missing important things in several of them.
> >
> > I'm still game: Maru, tell us what you need us to do to get it moving
> >
> > :) Would it help to have a launch/design committee of some kind so that
> >
> > projects could be assigned/decisions made? Are we still stuck on what
> > kind of wiki to use? If we are, what's the simplest way to become
> > unstuck? Public domain?
>
> No, I'm still interested. It's just that I've been having Internet
> access problems (so I've got ~90! Urth.net email to catch up on), my
> other projects on Wikipedia proper have been slowly piling up, *and*
> my job has gotten more demanding, physical-presence-wise. I'm working
> to resolve the first two, but I don't know how quickly I can free up
> my time to work on a Wolfe wiki. I have a bit of a business trip
> coming up this weekend, which is even *more* problematic, but assuming
> you guys can decide on a license and a name (and all goes well on my
> end), I can probably start importing Wikipedia articles within a week
> or two.
>
> I don't really think a comittee is needed- I just think that we need
> to make some decisions. If it were up to me, I'd simply say "Public
> domain" and "Wolfe Wiki", since the first can be legally changed later
> (public domain is compatible with all licenses, but it is one way...)
> and the latter is an obvious place holder, so no one really minds us
> changing it- I mean, look at Wookieepedia, originally they were the
> "Star Wars Wiki". Nobody complains about such a change.
>
> ~maru

I'd say just take the bull by the horns and start doing it.  I've been tempted
to do so myself but I really didn't want to step on anyone's toes by
highjacking their idea.

The only problem I see is importing stuff from the mailing list.  I don't
recall seeing anything about the copyright of stuff sent to the list when
joining the list, which means that an individual's post almost certainly
belongs to them.  It seems to me that you'll need their explicit permission
to import anything anyone else has written if you want to stay strictly
legal.