(urth) Unhappiness with fantasy writing

Kate Savage katesavage2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 16 09:02:59 PDT 2006

Re: (urth) Unhappiness with fantasy writing
 pthwndxrclzp <aquastor at gmail.com> wrote on Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:44
  > Sorry to begin by hijacking your post...but I am similarly dismayed by
> what I see as both Charles Stross' and John C. Wright's almost simultaneous
> shift from deft and enthralling sf  to clunky, contrived, half-hearted
> fantasy.
  > Their sf is terrific, though

  My understanding is that Stress' agent told him that if he wanted to improve sales, he needed to shift from hard sf to fantasy. The problem with hard sf is the bottom line - fantasies and paranormal romances marked to the fantasy community seem to be bringing in the most money these days. Look at the sale of ARCs on eBay - writers like Wolfe do not bring top dollar but Robert Jordan will.

I have been having trouble with my Yahoo account. Please try my work email or call me if I don't return email in a timely fashion.