(urth) Looking for dictionary recommedations

maru dubshinki marudubshinki at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 21:27:09 PDT 2006

On 6/12/06, Macronaut <macronaut at yahoo.com> wrote:
> You might also consider the DVD version of the OED.
> Much easier to search, and it's far cheaper.
>
> Macronaut

To be honest, I'd have to disagree. I own the Compact OED and I've
used the disc versions, and the COED is a better choice. The price
differential doesn't really justify one over the other (for such a
long-term purchase, anyway), and even worse, the disc version is
Windows-only. In ten or 20 years, which one do you think will still be
as useful as the day they were bought? (And that's assuming one even
uses Windows, which isn't a safe assumption). No doubt there are other
reasons other than simply future-proofing things.

~maru