(urth) Father Inire and SF loathing

don doggett kingwukong at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 12 19:26:19 PDT 2006

--- Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll go you one better: I don't hate any writer of
> any sort, at
> least as a writer. Nor any musician, painter, or any
> other
> sort of artist. I hold with Kurt Vonnegut that
> hating a work
> of art is like jousting with an ice cream sundae. It
> just
> isn't worth it.

Oh, I don't know about that, some art is well
deserving of hate, if for no other reason than to spur
dialogue and make people think. Some artists actively
court dislike for that reason, while others (nazi
propagandists, to name an easy one) use art to convey
a message that should in good conscience be answered
and rejected, and rightfully despised. Note, I did not
say banned. That's a different can of worms
altogether. But I'm way OT here.

Don