(urth) Agia/Hypogeon/Inire

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 24 04:53:04 PDT 2006

Roy writes:

>Jeff is right about the man-apes of the treasure mine being the autarch's
>command -- see the first page of chapter XXXI in CITADEL.

Cyriaca, who spent long hours with her special, very knowledgable uncle,
forces us to question whether Father Inire is the humble vizier and servant
of the autarchs.  I think I'm not the only one to consider that the chain of
autarchs might be puppets to the (nearly) immortal Inire.  The autarchs
might command the man-apes but I don't think they created them.  And the
disturbed, subterranean behemoth?  We know that Abaia is beneath the ocean
but he is not the only megatherian.

I see little evidence that Father Inire is working FOR the New Sun...in 1000
years only three autarchs make the trip to Yesod? And quite a gap in the
middle of that millenium...There is something special about the three who
went.  Possibly a streak of independence from Inire.  Why does the old
autarch, Appian, have his own set of mirrors?  The parable of Ymar shows he
is not so easily swayed by women and wealth (like the corrupt autarch in the
play).  Rather he, (like Severian) is happy to follow a dog....

Roy asks:

>Am I reading you right? Are you seriously suggesting that Inire was working
>to prevent the coming of the New Sun?

I am currently finding it fruitful to interpret almost everything in the
BotNS within a framework which describes the rise of Christianity in
replacement of earlier pagan religions (in the Western world anyway).  To
answer Roy's question I would ask, "were Apollo and Jupiter (and Ra and Anu,
etc.) working to prevent the coming of Jesus?"

To answer I would say no, these pagan gods were just pursuing their own
goals which might be beyond human understanding.  But the followers of these
gods were definitely fighting the rise of Christianity. I think true
believing Christians would assert that God allowed these pagan religions to
flourish as part of the preparation of the Earth for Christ.

So too I think Father Inire, the master manipulator, has himself been
manipulated by higher powers to help prepare Urth for the coming of the New
Sun.  Like the Greek Gods I think Inire (et al.) is near-immortal,
animal-associated and shape-shifting (in the way of Tzadkiel). Like the
Greek gods he amuses himself with dalliances with human women and enjoys
getting involved in human wars.  Appian seem to cynically realize they are
being manipulated by the gods for fun, asking Severian if he'd like to
switch armies...or maybe have both...

If we wonder what happened to Father Inire and the others of his kind on
Urth, I think it was the same fate that befell the pagan gods who were swept
away by Christianity; the same fate of all gods who find themselves without
any believers.

-bsharp