(urth) "V.R.T." - April 24

Daniel D Jones ddjones at riddlemaster.org
Wed Jul 26 11:44:04 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 15:08, ori kowarsky wrote:
> Hello all,I've just finsihed re-reading FHC and something leapt out at me
> which seemed worth delurking to explore (whether it will seem worthwhile to
> anyone else is another matter ...).It seems to me -- and forgive me if this
> has been raised before, but I couldn't find anything in the archives --
> that the prisoner in cell 143 is John Marsch.  By which I mean the Earthman
> John Marsch.If you look chronologically at Marsch's entries from April 24
> onwards what seems to be happening is a double-blending.  Something has
> happened to Marsch that  makes him think that he's a half-abo boy named
> Victor;  once that
> transference takes place "Victor" subsequently decides to "become"
> "Marsch" because that's what marsch believes abos do.  It's as though water
> trapped in a container is being tipped first to the left and then to the
> right before attaining some kind of equilibrium.I'll first try to sketch
> out the "how" of it which will hopefully blend into the "why".1.  Shadow
> child influence.  One day before the transformation begins (but I would not
> say completes -- see below) Marsch is bitten on the hand by Victor's cat.
> In "A Story", a very strange thing happens at the end, which is Eastwind is
> bitten (again, on the hand) by a Shadow child who tells him (and
> Sandwalker) that the bite will cause some kind of exchange of souls or
> perspectives.  Sandwalker then kills Eastwind -- or does he?  Because in
> "V.R.T." the abo who greets the colonists at Frenchman's Landing is named
> Eastwind.  The transference is first claimed to be accomplished by the
> narcotic inside the Shadow child's mouth, but later the Shadow child claims
> that the transference is based on personal belief -- ie. is
> psychosomatic.Now, I recognize that "A Story" is written by John/Victor and
> so it is debatable whether the story describes a)  an actual happening, b)
> an actual legend, c)  is a thinly (V)eiled account of what happened to
> John/Victor in the back of the beyond or d)  is a complete red herring.  I
> would say, though, that the fact that "A Story" raises an unanswered
> question as to the true identity of the individual historically known as
> Eastwind, plus the fact that the exchange happens via a bite to the hand
> means that it is significant -- either as a description of one of the
> Shadow children's powers, a belief about the Shadow children's powers or as
> a sublimation of something psycholgical that has happened to Marsch.2.
> Transference.I'm not a psycholgist, but it seems to me that there is
> sufficient pre-April 24 material to support the idea that even if there is
> no Shadow child magic going on, there is definitely evidence to support the
> idea that there is a psycholigcal transference that occurs in Marsch either
> as the result of the matrix of his personality/profession and environment
> (he has literally "gone native"), erotic tranference, or a combination of
> [...]

I see very little evidence for the above suppositions.  I think that, with
Wolfe, it's easy to get so wrapped up in uncovering clues and secrets that
one starts to see things when there's nothing there.  I'm reminded of an old
country song concerning a soldier with a deck of cards.  You can find the
story here:

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/forum/read.php?f=1&i=26725&t=26725

Clearly, there is no real relationship between a deck of cards and Christian
theology.  But it's quite possible to construct an extensive and plausible
link if one tries.  With a body of work as extensive and convoluted as
Wolfe's, it's necessarily possible to find all sorts of links and connections
that the author never intended.  I suspect that's the case with some of the
more exotic and esoteric theories that are discussed here.

I think V.R.T is pretty clear - Marsch died and was replaced by Victor, who
imitates him so well that he forgets that he's an imitation.  He becomes that
which he imitates.  The same thing happens with the Face Dancer Tleilaxu in
Herbert's later Dune books.