(urth) 5HC question

Jeffrey Lefstin jeff.lefstin at stanfordalumni.org
Tue Jul 25 18:28:27 PDT 2006

I think this has been discussed before, but myself, I favor (a).  Just
as Wolfe recycled aspects of the ship in "Silhouette" in Tzadkiel's
ship, or the duel in "Tracking Song" to the combat on the Sanguinary
Fields.

In general, I think GW doesn't play ridiculously complicated games with
us re FACTUAL issues (hiding Father Inire behind every bush, making
everyone a clone of everyone else).  Yes, he makes us hunt for a few
things but I think there are pretty clear lines between what is
explicit, slightly hidden, suggested, and insolubly ambigous.  In my
view, what world we're usually falls in the first two categories.

More to the point, GW writes LITERATURE - in the sense that characters
and things are very often richly symbolic.  I find it much less
interesting whether Valeria lives in a time-traveling building (not
that I think she does)  compared to what she represents in light of
GW's overarching themes.

So, if Blue = St. Croix and Green = St. Anne, what significance to the
themes and symbols GW is working with?

Jeff