(urth) ATTENDING DAEDALUS

James B. Jordan jbjordan4 at cox.net
Mon Jan 30 09:53:35 PST 2006

A point or two.

1. Wolfe is his ancient interview with me makes it clear that Severian's
God is the Christian God, and that he is a "Christian figure," a person
seeking by grace to grow out of a horrible background, still deeply flawed
for all that, but becoming more Christlike, which is what grace is supposed
to do.

2. While Wolfe uses the heirarchy of angels notion, the God at the top is
not that of pure neoplatonism. Remember that the "real" conciliator is the
Theoanthropos, who set salvation in motion. Severian as conciliator is
carrying forward but an aspect of His work.

3. Not that this is all that obvious. As I've mentioned before, the first
time I read the original quartet, I figured Severian to be an antichrist,
like Number 5.

Nutria