(urth) ATTENDING DAEDALUS

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 15:53:53 PST 2006

On 1/29/06, Chris <rasputin_ at hotmail.com> wrote:

> with the Ascians speaking a sort of Newspeak.

...sigh, here we go again...

Folks, the Ascians are _not_ speaking "a sort of Newspeak."
They're speaking a parody of Chairman Mao Thought, the
logical end-result of people running around quoting from the
Little Red Book. The Ascians are a resuscitation of the
"Yellow Peril" of the pulp stories Wolfe is generally revivifying
in the New Sun books.

Yes, I _know_ it's pronounced "uh-SHAY-yun" and I know
what it's supposed to mean, but if you really believe that
Wolfe didn't consciously intend us to think, at least glancingly,
of "Asians," you're not giving him enough credit for deviosity
or deviousness or whatever the nominal form of "devious" is
supposed to be. Making it uh-SHAY-yuns is a way to dance
around being called racist, in a book all full of hypostasized
racial theories.

--Dan'l

--
I do not fear Satan half so much as I fear those who fear him.
                        -- St Teresa of Avila