(urth) The Piteous Gate

pthwndxrclzp aquastor at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 09:23:48 PST 2006

There's another possible scenario, though with the barest of textual
support.

We are told, iirc, that some cacogens use the interior of the Wall as a way
station.  We also know that some of the cacogens have access to
extra-temporal information about Urth (and Sev). It doesn't seem that much
of a stretch to think that perhaps one of the cacogens, perhaps a
particularly monstrous one, stuck in the Wall, and knowing that this passage
might be his/her only chance to get an eyeful of the future Epitome of Urth,
popped outside for a peek. The sudden appearance of such an alien would
likely cause just the sort of panic among the walkers as we then see.

I know there's essentially no support for this, and it does move in a
direction that would set William of Occam to shaking his unshaven head in
dismay...but I can't escape the feeling that it is Severian's presence that
sets the riot in motion, somehow.