(urth) The Piteous Gate

Duncan Truter dtruter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 02:26:34 PST 2006

Thanks for all of your responses.

do we even know, though, that the Uhlans were attacking anybody?
Severian says that the crowd was breaking like a wave on the Uhlans,
but all that that really means is that the crowd was moving and the
Uhlans were staying in the same place. I think Severian also mentions
that he takes his sword out and starts attacking everyone in between
him and Dorcas, in order to get to her. Presumably something else
dangerous is happening at the time, or he would have (we hope) just
shouldered through the crowd.