(urth) The Piteous Gate

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 23 20:54:38 PST 2006

Well, logically we can separate the "how" and the "why" of the Piteous Gate
incident, and perhaps that will help. (Though as a side note I do not
understand the sort of universal fascination with this incident - which
doesn't seem to be provoked by historical discussions on the list because it
is shared by people who haven't read the archives - given that as far as I
can tell it isn't crucial to the overall interpretation of the story.)

The "mundane" aspect of the uhlans and the laws concerning the use of the
roads can be considered a fully adequate explanation as to how the incident
came about. If uhlans were guarding the road to make sure that people coming
out of the city didn't go any further on it, then even a small disturbance
could provoke a reaction from the guards that would incite a general panic.
It wouldn't take Hethor's extraterrestrial beasties, or any particularly
devious physical means, to create the situation - though of course, such
means could be employed.

The second aspect is the question of motive. If we press the mundane
account, it is simply a random occurence - there is no motive. If we don't
accept this, then we look for a reason why some character in the story would
want to incite such a panic. To get very specific on this count we'd have to
come to some determination as to *whose* motive it is; instead let's remain
general, and treat the question in terms of what the possible results of
such a panic might be that would benefit anyone.

It might be that the goal was to kill one of the members of Severian's
party, most probably Severian. If so, the prospective murderer chose a
method so indirect that it couldn't possibly be very effective; the odds of
your particular target being killed in the general chaos are rather low.

It could be that the goal was to escape apprehension by the guards waiting
outside the gate. This could be a motive for a few people, but particularly
I am thinking of Baldanders; he is of the same general type as the undines
and Abaia et al., and if he believed he had been spotted by the cacogens in
the wall he might have feared some kind of trap waiting outside the gate.
This seems to be a live candidate, but I do not see any real evidence that
points to it.

The third possibility (that I can think of, at any rate), is that someone
wanted to split the party. This allows for a truly bewildering array of
possibilities. One party member might have wanted to shake off another one,
or on the other hand might have wanted to shake off most/all of the others,
or might have wanted to get themselves alone with a particular individual.
Another variation would be one in which a third party, like the current
Autarch, wanted to separate Severian from one of the others who might cause
him harm (Hethor, Baldanders). Here again we have discrete possibilities to
choose from, and possible realistic motives, but not a lot of evidence for
any particular one.

To me this seems like a dead-end question, there are too many possibilities
with not enough evidence to make any one of them more plausible than the
others. I guess the only vague clue I can come up with is that if I remember
correctly the tone of the conversation, when the groups reunite, implies
that one of the parties might not have tried as hard as they could have to
reunite with the other one.

-- Chris