(urth) Origins of Ascians

James Wynn thewynns at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 4 18:57:25 PST 2006

>What if Ascia and the Ascians were a permutation of Ascolais that Gene Wolfe
>meant as a sort of homage to one of his inspirations?

eh.....I don't know. It seems a stretch since I can't think of any other connection beyond the name.  But I'm no one to talk since I've always suspected Ascolais is connected to the term "akolasia" meaning "licentiousness".

But wait until you get to the story of Cugel. The writing is soo subtly funny. And Severian is surely an homage to the shirtless, sword wielding Cugel.