(urth) The Piteous Gate

pthwndxrclzp aquastor at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 22:11:42 PST 2006

Ah, but stylistically, or perhaps "novelistically" would be a better term,
the incident is placed to have the utmost importance. Not only is it the end
of the first book, it is literally and expressly bookended as such -- what's
the quote, "having taken you from one gate to another I will take a brief
rest" or somesuch (I don't have my books handy). Thus, in an artistic light,
the mysterious tumult at the Piteous Gate is situated to convey what I take
to be a fair amount of importance.

With, of course, no subsequent explanation or even further questioning.
Wolfe loves his myriad mysteries, but this one seems almost calculated to
frustrate. And what *that* could be about, I have no idea.

So no, it doesn't seem crucial in terms of plot, but its placement really
does make ya go "huh." Well, me, at least. Huh.

Aq