(urth) The Piteous Gate (was: Book of the new sun (1-4) questions)

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 21 14:02:07 PST 2006

The road is officially devoted to military use, the transportation of troops
and supplies, so that is what the gate is for.

I find all arguments about what happened at the Piteous Gate to be a bit
tenuous, but here are a couple things which make a certain amount of common
sense to me at any rate.

Even if the uhlans are authorized to plunder anyone on the road, it would
probably not be profitable for them to do so (because then nobody would ever
use the road). The profitable way to approach it is to leave people alone
for the most part and not enforce the rule - this also happens to be good
for the economy - which would encourage people to go ahead and use the road,
even if they are aware that there is some small risk involved. Then, every
once in a while, you come down and enforce it; and when you do so, you will
end up with a huge haul rather than a couple stray travellers here and
there.