(urth) TWK Able's ambulance

Henry Eissler henryeissleriii at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 31 09:28:43 PST 2006

Greetings:

    I'm also new here, and haven't contributed before.  I hope
"top-posting" isn't taboo.
    About the previous interpretration you quoted:  I just don't get
where that would come from.  It seemed to me that the real Able (in
America) had been in the school bus, there'd been an accident, and he
was being rushed to the hospital (but wasn't going to make it.)  I can't
remember why I was under the impression that that Able was one of the
lives cut short in Parka's string- perhaps that dream sequence was mixed
into the string nightmares- but that was my take.  In fact, now I think
that the ambulance incident may not have actually been happening
"concurrently" in this world, but that Able was growing so comfortable
with the string nightmares at that point that he was finally able
(pardon) to pick that one out.
    Also, I'm not certain that their bodies were switched by the Moss
Aelf.  It seemed to me that they could have been doubles.  The same boy
in two different worlds.  It wouldn't explain why he couldn't see
Berthold as his brother until the end, but that could have been an
illusion (one among many.)
    My question is:  why did Disiri pick Art over Able?  Willingness?
    Anyway, that's my response.  Welcome to the world of Wolfe.
    ---H