(urth) Why so much synchronicity?

junk06 at amalar.com junk06 at amalar.com
Sat Aug 19 14:16:25 PDT 2006

I'm rereading (started with BOTNS this time, then back to Shadow).

I've read many theories on Severian's genealogy. Assuming all (or even
most) of those theories are true, why does Severian end up meeting
practically every single relative he has? He almost can't walk down a
street without running into one.

It's not just relatives. Even as the narrator keeps mentioning how
incomprehensibly populated Nessus is, he keeps running into people he
knows. He even runs into people he knows out in the wilderness sometimes.
Synchronicity abounds.

Meets man in library, meets same man years later racing down a street.
Meets man digging a grave, meets same man years later in a boat.
Has childhood friend, meets him again years later in the middle of a vast
ocean.
Meets man in library, meets him years later in another library across the
country.
etc etc etc for probably a dozen more examples

Why? It smells of ham handedness, as someone mentioned recently. Anyone
have theories as to why so many coincidences fill the series?