(urth) Severian's family tree

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 13 09:26:57 PDT 2006

Roy C. Lackey writes:
>I don't want to get bogged down in the "Original Sin is carnal knowledge"
>issue, still less in the >morass of Severian's presumed familial
>inbreeding......

I'm sympathetic to the view that Dorcas really isn't Severian's grandmother.
  It is only implied by some "ham handed" clues, but never revealed
outright.  Ouen's mother (and boatman's wife) is named Cas not Dorcas and
there are no other nicknames used anywhere else that I know in BotNS (except
Zak).  In many years of reading I never saw any plot, moral or mythic
significance in the incest angle either except.."Uh...Oedipus?"

But lately I have seen significances, and finding plot, mythic and moral
sense in that grandmotherly incest sways me to think it is the proper
interpretation.  "Cas" is used in the same way as "Zak" and is revealed to
be a deliberate auctorial misdirection.

Regarding ham-handed clues, I think this follows a pattern of puzzle
solution I see throughout BotNS.  I liken it to those cryptogram puzzles you
see in the newspaper.  You are given a jumble of letters and the author
solves one word for you. You then deduce rules and make intuitive leaps to
decode the rest.  The Last House as a time travel structure is another
example of this puzzle solution.  Wolfe tells us all about that one, then we
are supposed to find the others.  So Wolfe gives us one (or two) incest
occurrences also.

So, in my recent attempt to map Severian's family tree I tried to assemble
all the funny little clues I had noted through the years of reading but
didn't understand.  Added to these was the incidence of incest and twins
(the Severian-Severa clue).  During the process I became struck with just
how many incidents of incest seemed to be implied and I wondered why.

Then I realized "Oh, Oedipus!".  Oedipus, like Severian, was a pretty good
guy.  He had no idea he had killed his father and married his mother (until
later in life). The reason he was set up to do those things is that he
belonged to a cursed family.  Even relocation and anonymous adoption in
infancy couldn't break his family curse.

These Greek family curses were invariable brought on by a transgression
against the gods.  I don't see anything in BotNS suggesting Sev's family
transgressed against the pagan gods/cacogens/megatherians whatever they are,
in such ghastly scope as was done to put the curse on (for example) the
House of Atreus in mythology.  Maybe, if we ignore timeframe, we could say
that Severian himself transgressed against them by being the Conciliator, by
defeating Ceryx, by helping depose Typhon and later killing him and by
bringing a cleansing Judeo-Christian flood.

However I think we could also say, simply, that these alien beings,
representing pagan gods, are by nature incestuous and that Severian's family
tree was infected by the curse simply through a mating with one of them who
took human form.  This curse takes the form of relentless incestuous sexual
attraction between all family members, no matter how close and familial or
how distant and anonymous the family members might be.

I can't get family brackets in here but I'll try to discuss what I think is
Severian's family tree in a later post.  For now I'll just mention some
questions regarding the story; some weird things which always bothered me,
but are answered by an incest curse on Severian's family tree.

What is the plot purpose of Agia and Agilus' presumed incest?

Why are Severian and Juturna sexually drawn to each other?

Why are Dorcas and Jolenta sexually drawn to each other?

Why does Typhon masturbate while talking to Severian?

Why do Vodalus' followers hope they won't be eating another lesbian before
eating Thecla?

Why does Severian twice deny/decry pedophilia between him and Little
Severian, without accusation?

Why does Severian tell Ouen he can't tell him who he is or what he will
become, after putting Dorcas in his care?

Why do  Dorcas' dreams seem to say she commited suicide (drowning in a well)
because of a crime against her child.

Why do Severian and Valeria have a celibate (or at least childless)
marriage?

(to be cont.)

-bsharp