(urth) Time and Wolfe

Bob Miller bob_bageera at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 30 04:53:59 PDT 2006

While I personally find the Appian thing to be a matter of little interest,
after looking at all the posts I'm no longer convinced I am right.  I do
believe that it may be a part of the  "malleability and disconnectedness of
time" that seems to be a major factor in so many of Wolfe's books.  The
vagueness deliberate and, perhaps, the answer not even something Wolfe
believed relevant to his story and "fleshed out"?

How long was the Predecessor gone?

More accurately: how much time passed for him, and how much
time passed on Urth, between his departure and his return? We
know that Severian's journey didn't take too much subjective time,
but he returned years after his departure.

Such considerations make it plausible to me that the Autarch
has reigned longer than it seems, looking at him, he could possibly
have done.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----