(urth) Appian

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Sun Aug 27 22:47:22 PDT 2006

Jeff  Wilson quoted and wrote:
>> All in all, I think the preponderance of evidence suggests that Sancha's
>> Appian was not the Old Autarch, and that the last four rulers of the
>> Commonwealth were, in order, Appian, Maruthas, the Old Autarch and
Severian.
>> Sev, though he has all the guy's memories, goes out of his way *not* to
>> mention the guy's name. Why? And what was the name?
>
>Considering the way Thecla's memories loom and threaten to take over
>whenever she is called to mind, perhaps avoiding the old Autarch's
>personal name is an attempt to keep *that* set of memories from taking
over?

She did take over at times, notably when Sev and the autarch were on the
doomed flier. In fact, the autarch pulled a gun on her/him when it happened.
That would have been a good time for Sev/Thecla to drop the guy's name --
there was no good reason then not to reveal it, because all present knew
what it was.

-Roy