(urth) Appian's Proxy?

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 20 20:27:20 PDT 2006

Regarding Appian, Rex asks:

>who is it that rules in his absence? And do we have any sense how long the
>former honey->steward is absent from Urth? Or at what stage in his own
>reign he leaves? Severian waits a decade >before he journeys out and does
>not return for forty years. But surely his predecessor is not gone >for a
>similar amount of time.

I don't think Wolfe intends to be clear on these issues.  To even try to
answer them I am drawn to the scene where Severian meets Appian in the House
Absolute.  Severian wants to go to "the garden". Appian misunderstands and
says, "I will show you the way to the Garden, though I am by no means sure
you will be permitted to enter". Appian pulls out his mirror book, shows
Tzadkiel to Severian and says, "Go if you dare".

The Garden..hm..more Genesis allusions?  Anyway I always took this to mean
that Appian used that book to travel to Yesod and take his test.  No need
for a proxy ruler. He could have been there and back in hours (returned in
altered form, unfortunately).  Anyway, in Urth, Tzadkiel makes it clear
Appian's test was a boondoggle intended only to help Severian, through
acquired memory, later. (though I don't see how it did help Severian).  So I
think there was no need for 10 years of preparation or a long voyage through
space for Appian's trip.  If someone has to lose his manhood, best it be
done quickly as possible, yes?

-bsharp