(urth) Re-reading, hoping for some discussion ;-)

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 15:58:52 PDT 2006

On 8/14/06, Jonathon McKitrick <jcm at freebsd-uk.eu.org> wrote:
> First of all, after just reading a couple of today's posts about Severian's
> lineage... is there any reason to believe Gene Wolfe had this stuff
> planned out to provide all these details deliberately, and that he will
> take the final explanation with him to his grave?

I'm reasonably sure that Wolfe did not create this complex, beautiful
work without a clear idea of what it all meant (I don't mean symbolically,
at least not necessarily; I mean what was going on behind the scenes
to cause the various mysterious goings-on). I'm fairly certain he knows
who Severian's parents and grandparents were.

But ... I suspect that we readers sometimes spend a lot of ingenuity
coming up with solutions to mysteries Wolfe never intended to be
mysteries at all.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----