(urth) Original Sin and pagan gods.

James B. Jordan jbjordan4 at cox.net
Wed Aug 9 08:42:49 PDT 2006

At 06:38 AM 8/9/2006, you wrote:

>James B. Jordan writes regarding the fallen angel origin of the Nephilim:
>
> >Nephilim simply means  "powerful men" "great rulers,"
>
>but isn't the word also derived from the Hebrew for "fallen"?

         Or, those who fall upon others.
         But, for the rest, my point was that all of these things
have multiple understandings. I don't want to be taken as "pulling
rank" or anything, but as it happens I am the author of two books on
the early parts of Genesis, so I'm aware of lots of views, very
common views. I shared mine, but this is not the place to argue for
my views. My point was that it's hard to know which of the various
understandings of these texts are the ones Wolfe tends toward, and
even if we did know, that would not tell us whether he might be
employing a reading that he regards as erroneous for literary
purposes. To wit, he may share the (most common) view that the sons
of God are Sethites, but choose to employ the (minority) view that
they are angels.
         I intended only a cautionary note. @>----

Pat. Nutria

>also he writes:
>
> >True, "son of God" means "ruler" in the Hebrew, and is used for angels once
> >or twice, but it also >means "believer" and that is what it means here.
>
>The beginning of Genesis 6 says:
>6:1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the
>earth, and daughters were born unto them,
>6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and
>they took them wives of all which they chose.
>
>This indicates to me that the "sons of God" were not men and their
>intercourse with human women was something different from the human
>reproduction which had already covered the face of the earth. Why would God
>need to cleanse the earth of "believers" with a flood, which is described
>immediately after?
>
>and James says:
>
> >The sons of God who married the daughters of men because they were "good"
> >(same word used >of the fruit Eve plucked) were the Sethites who married
> >with the daughters of the Cainites. This >is clear from the context. In
> >Genesis 4-5, men of the Sethite line worshipped Yahweh
>
>So, the forbidden fruit Eve plucked was good?  And "The serpent's job was to
>train them in wisdom". And what were these Sethite line guys doing when the
>rest of humanity was mulitplying.  Why did they only discover the daughters
>of men later? I have trouble understanding all this, especially with a more
>clear, alternate explanation available.
>
>and lastly James B. Jordan writes:
>
> >Without interviewing him, there is really no way to know what Wolfe might
> >be thinking about >such things, hence no way to know what his allusions
> >might be. Moreover, Wolfe may be alluding >to fantastical readings of
> >Genesis (e.g., Lilith) that he himself does not believe. So, be careful,
> >and don't over-read.
>
>Yes, but aren't you the James Jordan who did interview Wolfe and to whom he
>explicitly stated his belief in the reality of pagan gods?  Regarding
>Lilith, yes, James Jordan and Roy Lackey had a discussion of Wolfe's use of
>this myth in regard to Copperhead about five years ago. Why would his use of
>Lilith in BotNS be surprising? And at the risk of sounding disrespectful and
>irreverent I must ask if the admonition to be careful and not over-read also
>applies to Bible reading ;-)?
>
>-bsharp

James B. Jordan
Director, Biblical Horizons