(urth) Citadel things: In the crypt and Valeria

junk06 at amalar.com junk06 at amalar.com
Sun Aug 27 19:46:57 PDT 2006

I have puzzled together most of the series to be satisfied, but a few
things have never clicked for me.

Does Severian get in the crypt in the citadel? It seems to be clear he is
there. I trace his timeline, and it's clear he's remade at some points, but
when does he end up in the crypt? Even at the end of BOTNS, it is mentioned
he thinks he will end up there, but then ends up going to the time after
the new sun past the time of the guy in the crypt. I don't see any
extraneous Severian that is not accounted for.

What is the significance of Valeria? He meets her very soon in the first
book, then suddenly goes off to look for her at the end of the last book as
if it were the end of some literary story arc. Is she mentioned any time in
between briefly meeting her and when he goes to find her to marry her? He
met some other women briefly too, but didn't go back to marry them. Why her?