(urth) More on Juturna

mournings glory mourningsglory at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 28 11:24:48 PDT 2006

From: b#

>I think it is a mistake to assume the desires of Juturna are (in all times)
>the same as those of Abaia.  Abaia is not interested in the physical
>domination of Urth but rather the acquisition of slaves.  I suspect Abaia's
>harem of brides/daughters may not be happy with their roles but rather
>forced into compliance in some manner.

I've another theory yet -- could the undines be the equivalent of alien Mata
Haris and therefore be agents of the Hierodules?

1) Their names (Juturna, Idas) seem closer in affinity to the friendlier
extrasolarians of New Sun (Barbatus, Famulimus, Ossipago) than the
teratonymic Megatherians (Abaia, Arioch, Erebus).

2) Juturna, in Roman Mythology, is the goddess of springs, wells, and
especially *fountains* -- ergo, she's a symbol of rebirth as well as the
White Fountain that will renew the old sun. (Note as well the common linkage
with Roman mythology -- B, F, & O all being named after minor Roman
deities.)

3) Either the undines experience time in "widdershins" fashion or they know
how to access the Corridors of Time (depending on your preference) -- yet
another link that posits a connection more between the Hierodules than the
Megatherians. (Indeed, I see no evidence that the Megatherians -- being
creatures of Briah and not Yesod -- can negotiate or undercut time in the
same fashion. But if the undines know how, why wouldn't their alleged
masters?)

4) Juturna consistently helps -- rather than hinders -- Sev in every
encounter. (The attempted seduction scene at Cephissus appears designed to
give our hero the ability to breathe underwater, which he'll need in the
future.) Idas, on the hand, may have been turned by her father (if, that is,
he's Baldanders -- we're still awaiting the paternity results  <gr>).

5) The notion of sea-deep monsters needing brides, consorts, or sexual
playthings implies one of the seven deadly sins -- lust --and opportunizes
their vulnerability to the placement of covert operatives by the opposition
--a catching of the Catodon, if you will.

em-as-in-merfrow (go Ariel!)