(urth) Severian's miraculous eclipse

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Tue Apr 25 23:32:11 PDT 2006

Hi & welcome b sharp:

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 05:13:46 +1000 b sharp
<bsharporflat at hotmail.com> wrote:
>Greetings all.  Long time Wolfe fan who recently discovered and
>much
>more recently finished perusing the archives.
>
>	I'd like to address an issue that was discussed in the past which
>is
>the eclipse which saves Severian from being killed by the primitive
>tribesmen in the early days of Urth.  It seems most experts have
>concurred that the eclipse was caused by Tzadkiel's ship.  This
>explanation doesn't seem plausible to me.

I tend to side with the Tzadkiel ship explanation, but it is
interesting to think about what it was doing there & at that time.

Maybe it was dropping a black hole into the sun? This would be a
nice touch, I think: the beginning of the end of the Old Sun and
the distant birth of the New, at about the same time.

I've always assumed the black hole thing happened around the time
of Typhon, but is that necessarily the case?

The death of the Old Sun is clearly a long, long process: how long
must have the black hole been eating away at it, for the effects to
be noticeable by Typhon's time?