(urth) Changing Sev

Thomas Bitterman tom at bitterman.net
Sun Apr 16 18:52:10 PDT 2006

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com wrote:
> Thinking about what happens to Sev during the RTTW episodes, I do
> find it hard to believe that subsequent events will follow the New
> Sun course.
If they don't, how will Sev write the book that Wolfe found and we read?
> Can Sev really carry on as torturer after basking in
> the glow of SilkHorn's preternatrual goodness?

Many people were able to continue being bad after meeting SilkHorn.  I'd
like to think
that Severian found SilkHorn just as tedious as I did and was just
humoring a well-meaning
but dotty old man.

Perhaps Wolfe is using the meeting to point out the dangers of using a
book written many
years after a previous book to interpret the former.

enamel