(urth) Information, etc.

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Apr 12 20:56:33 PDT 2006

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:

>>I think Chris is probably thinking more along the lines of Aquinas,
>>whose limits to God's power to do the impossible were more about the
>>ability of humans to construct paradoxes, prefiguring Godel's Theorem.
>

> I see what you mean -- but I read the discussion as being about
> physical, as opposed to logical, impossibilities. (Chris? Comment?)
> I suppose that you could argue that there's a logical impossibility
> in God's violating the physical laws He established, but only if
> you assume that He meant for Himself to be bound by them in
> the first place.

I mean things like disproving God's omnipotence by asking can God make a
rock so big He can't lift it. This shortcoming is only valid in a
superficial, rhetorical sense. Mathematically, this is a comparison of
two infinite quantities, and their lack of finite magnitude is more
apparent.

>>As for miracle-based faith, IIRC the only overt miracle formally
>>required for Christian belief is Christ's Resurrection. Papal
>>infallibility and the incidental qualities of the Host are not
>>observable or falsifiable.
>

> H'mmm. Well, they are required by _Catholic_ (i.e., Wolfe's)
> faith, as are the Virgin birth and the Assumption of Mary, plus
> miscellaneous miracles Jesus performed along the way.

I think this leads to another rhetorical paradox; how can the church be
truly catholic and universal if they exclude followers of Jesus who
don't have the same "miracles believed in" boxes checked off?

I am going by the Nicean Creed when I say the miracle of Christ's
Resurrection is the only overt miracle required for belief. The divine
and virginal origin of Jesus is not something that would require obvious
mirqaculous goings on, but an obviously dead first century man gettinng
up and talking, then floating into the sky, in front of multiple
witnesses, that would have to be miraculous.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >