(urth) Master Ash v Silkhorn (astral time travel)

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Tue Apr 11 14:54:23 PDT 2006

I think relativity holds in the NS-SS-LS universe.  Wolfe posits the
presence of FTL and time travel, and makes the breakdown of causality from
our point of view a feature: allowing the miraculous and free will (though
perhaps more for those walking the corridors of time) and determinism, as
well as the mysteries that exceed human understanding.

So, I think for Silkhorn to astral travel "instantaneously" requires time
travel, just not requiring the apparatus many of the others used. Then
it's interesting to compare the fate of Master Ash's attempt to travel
with Severian with that of Silkhorn: viz Ash fades away because "I can
exist [in your world] only if the probability of my existence is high".

David Duffy