(urth) changes

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 28 11:18:23 PDT 2005

I find this issue to be particularly interesting not only for the new way it
has us look at Svon, but for the new way it has us look at Ravd.

Coming out of the first book (and most of the way through the second) Ravd
is one character who really stands out as having *no flaws at all*. It is
clear that Able idolizes him; on the basis of their very brief acquaintance,
Able describes Ravd (in the character list at the beginning of The Knight)
as "the finest knight I ever saw" - or something quite similar.

>From this incident we are given a flaw that returns Ravd to more or less
human status: he allowed his prejudices, his dislike of Svon, to get in the
way of giving his student the particular treatment/teaching that he needed.
It is a very small flaw, and apparently not deliberate, but one that did
have a significant effect. We are meant to sympathize with Ravd, I think,
because from the narrative up to that point we would have made the same
unfair judgment of Svon that he did. This takes considerable talent on the
part of the narrator, and suggests a further dimension in which Able has
matured. (Although I find myself ultimately unconvinced that he is fully
mature by the end of the story).

Another point/question: someone mentioned Toug seeing the ghost of Ravd
looking in on Svon in "The Wizard". The golden knight that Toug describes
might have been Ravd, but to be honest I thought that the image was that of
the older Svon, as described in the fight against the Osterlings later on.
This would also echo the scene of Able looking back on himself, which I
think is significant because Able, Svon and Toug are already very very close
to being the same character.