(urth) Marcus v. Franzen = Unexpected Wolfe sighting

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 21 20:10:12 PDT 2005

I can barely stand to read half of these posts. And the most cretinous ones
(if that is a word, and if I am using it correctly) don't seem worth
responding to, because they reflect opinions held by people so certain of
their own infallible faculty of interpretation that they are impervious to
correction.

As far as your own posts, Adam, I have my own problems with The Knight but
the ones you immediately bring up are not among them. The fact that Able is
so clearly portrayed as a punk or a creep is not a coincidence, and
indicates that Wolfe intends to give us this impression. So I don't think
Wolfe intends to portray Able as, or have us think of Able as "the
bees-knees". Other characters in the novel clearly do, however, and part of
the (overwrought) point is to lead one to examine just why that is.

I am not sure how to make the connection explicit, but I can't help thinking
of my reaction when I first read Homer: something about the idolization of
Achilles just didn't connect. Attempting to understand this leads to a kind
of understanding of the ancient Greeks, and of people in general.