(urth) Marcus v. Franzen = Unexpected Wolfe sighting

Matt Sab mbs808 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 17 08:18:53 PDT 2005

In this month's Harper's magazine, Ben Marcus rips
into Jonathan Franzen in "Why Experimental Fiction
Threatens to Destroy Publishing, Jonathan Franzen, and
Life as We Know It."

The Valve's discussion of the essay has an unexpected
Gene Wolfe appearance:

I read very little poetry by design and constitution.
I lack the patience required to work through poetry if
it lacks the puzzling qualities I value in writers
like Joyce.  (I mean "puzzling" literally there, as in
"like a puzzle" which I’m enjoined to put back
together.  Hence my love/hate relationship with Gene
Wolfe.)

Full text here:

http://www.thevalve.org/go/valve/article/aggresively_masturbatory_fiction_or_two_authors_enter_only_ben_marcus_may_l/