(urth) TWK: Able's Prose Style

Mike Sakasegawa saxon75 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 15:25:01 PST 2005

Hello all. I'm relatively new to the list--I posted briefly as Hitsuji a
couple of years ago and then dropped out. Anyway, I recently finished
reading The Wizard and had a question.

As far as I noticed, Arthur never once uses a contraction in the prose
portions of his letter to Ben. It seemed odd to me, because his dialogue
uses as many contractions as you would normally see in a 20th century
American teenager's speech, but I was unable to spot a single instance of a
contraction in the prose. I was wondering if anyone thought there was any
significance to that.

-Mike