(urth) Honor

Michael Straight mfstraight at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 13:17:21 PST 2005

On 11/27/05, Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net> wrote:
> There is more, including the specific mention of "Trial by Combat", but
> that's enough to prove my point.

I feel like you've forgotten what your point was.

The point I thought I was arguing with was, "Able is a jerk because he
believes might makes right."

The examples you gave:

1.  The stable hands - I think there's been pretty convincing argument
that Able was right to insist that they take care of the horses.

2.  The pass - I'm not sure if you understood my point.  I'm arguing
that his stand at the pass is a way of proving he is a better fighter
and for that reason more worthy of wielding his opponent's weapons and
armor.

Now you've got this other example:

On 11/27/05, Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net> wrote:

>    [ABLE:] "You have to let me do this, Your Majesty. I've worn your favor in the
> lists. I'm your champion."
>     "Oh, Lady! Dear Lady of Skai! It's . . ."
>     "Ordained?" I suggested.
>     Gaynor's eyes brimmed with tears. "It's for me, too. So the king will
> see that -- that I'm not what he thinks. The Valfather will give the victory
> to the right, won't he?"
>     "That's what people believe, I know. It may be true."

Here, Able acknowledges that this society believes that victory in
combat would somehow prove the Lady's innocence, but he doesn't seem
convinced of it himself.  "It may be true" -- Able knows the Valfather
could/might give victory to the right, but that seems to me a long way
away from some kind of self-righteous certainty that victory in battle
proves that he is right.

Able is convinced of the Lady's innocence and is willing to fight for
her, knowing that his victory will be seen by others as vindicating
her.   Are you arguing that, had he lost, Able would have reconsidered
and thought, "Maybe the Lady is an adulteress after all?"

-- Rostrum